A number of self-study courses related to career planning and professional development are available at Oxford. They include the following modules:
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Entrepreneurship 1: Are you an entrepreneur?
- Entrepreneurship 2: Opportunity recognition, creation and evaluation
- Entrepreneurship 3: Resources (people, teams, finance)
You may also find the following resources of interest:
- Apprise - created to support PhD researchers in their academic and professional development
- Vitae - "national organisation championing the personal, professional and career development of doctoral researchers and research staff"
- The Doctorate - A collection of stories about the experience of working for a doctorate
And finally... some lighter reading: Piled Higher & Deeper: Life (or the lack thereof) in Academia - a comic strip by Jorge Cham